Hull Kingston Rovers Community Trust wins National Lottery support
Hull Kingston Rovers Community Trust has received initial support* from the National Lottery for the “Heritage of Hull Kingston Rovers” project, it was announced today.
Thanks to this support, made possible by National Lottery players, the project will aim to preserve, celebrate and promote the proud heritage of the club to current and future generations by creating a heritage and community hub at KCOM Craven Park, with development funding of £46,900 awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to help the Trust progress their plans to apply for a full grant at a later date.
The project will develop volunteer, school and community programmes with the aim to identify, collect, catalogue, preserve and promote the heritage of Hull KR, using it to enhance the club's position at the heart of its community.
Most importantly it will seek to use the heritage of the club and rugby league in east Hull to work with the local community, raising awareness of local and personal history, teaching new skills and providing opportunities for people who have traditionally had little access to heritage and cultural activities.
Helen Schofield, the Trust’s Manager, said: “We’re delighted that the Heritage Lottery Fund has given us this support. Hull Kingston Rovers is a club with a rich history and has this season been celebrating its 135th year. We have a committed group of volunteers and staff who have been instrumental in ensuring that this history is celebrated and preserved. The support from National Lottery players means we can create a new and exciting project that will expand on the fantastic work that has been done so far.”
Hull KR occupies a central position in the heritage of the city of Hull. Formed by workers at local dock engineering companies Amos & Smith and CD Holmes in 1882, the club moved to east Hull in 1895 and rapidly became the focus for local community identity.
Much of the heritage of east Hull is embodied in the club. Geographically, over the past 120 years, the Robins have played at three different stadia in east Hull, all within three miles of each other. Since the 1890s, many of the pubs in the area have had landlords who have been players or officials. As well as the docks, former factories such as James Reckitt’s, Priestman’s and Earle’s Shipyard have provided players and supporters for the club, and indeed had their own amateur rugby league sides.
Local schools such as Mersey Street and Courteney Street developed local players who would go on to reach the highest levels of the game. For many fans, their support of the club is something handed down by previous generations of parents and grandparents.