Rovers suffer heavy defeat at Wigan Warriors

Category: On The Pitch

Rovers suffer heavy defeat at Wigan Warriors

Hull Kingston Rovers fell to a heavy defeat to Wigan Warriors, losing 52-10 at the DW Stadium.

See the match report below from the Betfred Super League fixture.


Robbie Mulhern returned to the Rovers matchday 17 in place of the rested George Lawler – otherwise, KR were unchanged from the 18-10 derby win over Hull FC eight days ago.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Thomas Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Romain Navarrete, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies. SUBS: Chris Hankinson, Jarrod Sammut, Oliver Partington, Joe Bullock.

Hull KR: Adam Quinlan, Ryan Shaw, Kane Linnett, Ben Crooks, Craig Hall, Josh Drinkwater, Danny McGuire, Mitch Garbutt, Matt Parcell, Luis Johnson, Joel Tomkins, Harvey Livett, Weller Hauraki. SUBS: Chris Atkin, Mose Masoe, Robbie Mulhern, Daniel Murray.


Wigan opened the scoring in the fourth minute through Liam Farrell, who collected an inside ball from the left edge to cross. Zak Hardaker converted for 6-0 which soon became 8-0 via a penalty goal on 11 minutes.

Rovers responded on the next set, when an error from try-scorer Farrell was pounced upon by the visitors. Danny McGuire’s pass to Craig Hall created space and the winger found full-back Adam Quinlan who managed to burrow over on the right-wing, converted brilliantly by Ryan Shaw.

But Wigan hit back as Liam Marshall walked over unopposed on the right side, before he grabbed his seconds minutes later, capitalising on poor KR defence out wide again. Hardaker kicked one of two for 18-6.

Romain Navarette saw yellow for the hosts on 26 minutes, with Wigan reduced to 12 men but KR were unable to capitalise. In turn, the hosts scored on the left edge following George Williams’ pin-point kick which was grounded by Hardaker the quickest. He converted his own four-pointer for a 24-6 half-time lead.

HALF-TIME: Wigan Warriors 24 Hull KR 6


Rovers needed a revival in the second half, but opportunities couldn’t be converted from various players during the opening 15 minutes despite great field position.

The Robins were made to pay for their lack of a clinical edge when Marshall bagged his hat-trick on 54 minutes for 28-6.

Williams danced his way over on 57 minutes unopposed, Hardaker converting from bang in front for 34-6, before Farrell bagged his brace on the hour mark, again converted, as Wigan hit 40.

Oliver Gildart got in on the act on 64, when supporting Jarrod Sammut’s intercept for 46-6. Wigan’s lead was soon increased, when Joe Burgess went racing down the left edge for 52-6, Hardaker goaling.

Quinlan bagged his second, a mere consolation collecting Kane Linnett’s offload with nine minutes remaining. Shaw missed the extras for 52-10 which it remained until the final hooter.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 52 Hull KR 10


T: Farrell 2, Marshall 3, Hardaker, Williams, Gildart, Burgess

G: Hardaker 8/10


T: Quinlan 2

G: Shaw 1/2

Attendance: 11,042

Back To Latest News +