Sheens: Damage done in the first half

Category: On The Pitch

Sheens: Damage done in the first half

Head coach Tim Sheens praised the reaction of his team to adversity but admitted the damage was done in the first half after Rovers went down 40-26 to Warrington Wolves at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

After losing skipper Shaun Lunt to a medial knee ligament injury inside two minutes, the Robins went into the changing rooms trailing by 22-2 at half-time but a brilliant comeback at the start of the second half saw them only trailing by two points.

However, having also lost Ben Kavanagh and Robbie Mulhern to head assessments and with Chris Atkin and Matty Marsh having to share the hooking duties throughout the game, a tiring Rovers outfit conceded three late tries to lose the match despite a late Danny McGuire effort.

Speaking to, Sheens said: “The last fifteen minutes of the first half was too much for us to take. We gave away too many penalties, as well as losing Shaun Lunt after 80 seconds disrupted our game plan. Matty Marsh was only meant to fill in for small minutes, had to play long minutes, which dropped our size in the middle a bit. With Tommy Lee missing too it has been a tough few weeks.

“I was very disappointed with the try given just before half time. I have a picture of Vaivai grounding the ball before they grounded it, and three officials missed it. They seem to be able to get everything else, except that. At the end of the day, it made it that much harder for us to come back in the second half.

“At half time, we needed to keep them to nil for the first twenty minutes and we did that. We persevered and clawed our way back into the game with some great tries at the start of the second half.

“We held up really well and with Lunt damaging his MCL and two players sent to the head bin I thought we did really well to get back into the game, despite the adversity. We just didn’t have enough energy left to compete in the last twenty.

“There was more adversity as well, with Robbie Mulhern not being allowed back onto the pitch. The fourth official had to check the rules with our club doctor before allowing him back on the field. It cost us seven minutes when we wanted Robbie on the field but it’s not the reason why we lost, although it doesn’t help.”

Back To Latest News +