On this Day – 27.07

Category: Heritage

On this Day – 27.07

Two years ago, on 27 July 2018, in the last league match of the season, Rovers ended a seven-match losing run at the hands of the Black & Whites. Rovers had Craig Hall back in their ranks after spells with Wakefield and Leigh, and there was a debut for former Hull FC centreBen Crooks, who, like Hall, had joined the Robins from Leigh on loan for the forthcoming Super Eights campaign. Aussie half-back star Todd Carney also made his Rovers debut from the bench.

Hall got Rovers off to a great start when he scored within two minutes of his ‘second debut’, taking Maurice Blair’s cut-out pass to dive in at the corner. The heavy rain and wind made it difficult for both sides to retain possession, and the next try came when Talanoa lost possession near his own line in the 24th minute. First Crooks and then Hall kicked the ball on over the length of the field, and the latter did well to touch itdown just before it went out of play. Danny Tickle converted to give Rovers a 10-0 lead, and then, just three minutes before the break, powered his way over from close range. He missed the ensuing conversion, and when Rovers were awarded a penalty on the stroke of half-time, it was Hall who stepped up to give the Robins a 16-0 half-time lead.

It took the home side only four minutes to cut the deficit in the second half, with a rather scrappy try by Abdull that resulted in Blair being sin-binned for expressing his displeasure at the score being awarded. The Black & Whites made full use of their numerical advantage, Griffin scoring a try that was converted by Sneyd to cut Rovers’ lead to 16-10. By this stage, Hull FC had Rovers under continuous pressure, and from another penalty award, Minichello scrambled over the line and Sneydconverted to level the scores. A penalty from Tickle on the hour nudged the visitors ahead once more. As the game became increasingly tense, Sneyd hit the post from a penalty at one end, before Tickle nudged Rovers further ahead with another penalty with four minutes left on the clock. With a four-point buffer, the Robins managed to play out time for their first win at the KCOM stadium since April 2015.

The result meant that Robins had four wins and a draw from their final six Super League games – it was not enough to take them out of the bottom four, but at least they had some confidence to take into the Super Eights.

The Rovers team that day was – Adam Quinlan; Will Oakes, Liam Salter, Ben Crooks, Craig Hall; Maurice Blair, Chris Atkin; Lee Jewitt, Joe Cator, Robbie Mulhern, Chris Clarkson, Danny Tickle, Ben Kavanagh.  Bench:  Nick Scruton, James Donaldson, Joe Wardill, Todd Carney.

Back To Latest News +