Rovers blow healthy lead to lose at London Broncos

Category: On The Pitch

Rovers blow healthy lead to lose at London Broncos

Hull Kingston Rovers threw away an 18-8 lead to lose 26-24 at London Broncos.

Find the match report from the Trailfinders Sports Club below.


Hull KR head coach Tony Smith included three debutants in his matchday 17, with Luis Johnson starting at loose forward to earn his first full Betfred Super League cap, and Daniel Murray and Harvey Livett coming off the bench.

Kane Linnett returned from a neck issue to retake his place at centre, with Will Dagger, Owen Harrison, Adam Rooks and Mitch Garbutt making way.

Josh Drinkwater started in the halves against his former club. London Broncos included ex-Robins Kieran Dixon and Jordan Abdull in their starting 13.

London Broncos: Alex Walker, Kieran Dixon, Ryan Morgan, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams, Jordan Abdull, Morgan Smith, Eddie Battye, James Cunningham, Olsi Krasniqi, Jay Pitts, Matt Gee, Luke Yates. SUBS: Matty Fozard, Nathan Mason, Rob Butler, Mark Ioane.

Hull KR: Adam Quinlan, Ryan Shaw, Kane Linnett, Ben Crooks, Craig Hall, Josh Drinkwater, Chris Atkin, Robbie Mulhern, George Lawler, Mose Masoe, Weller Hauraki, Joel Tomkins, Luis Johnson. SUBS: Harvey Livett, Tommy Lee, Jimmy Keinhorst, Daniel Murray.


A penalty conceded for a tackle in the air by Adam Quinlan was converted by Kieran Dixon, who slotted over the first two points of the game as London drew first blood on six minutes.

Rovers had their chances through Quinlan and Weller Hauraki in the opening quarter but there was no further score for either side.

The first breakthrough came on 26 minutes as London produced superb last-tackle play through Alex Walker, as his offload found Kieran Dixon who kicked from the touchline to find Morgan Smith. Dixon couldn’t convert but London led 6-0.

A penalty goal on 32 minutes from Dixon ensured an eight-point advantage with as many minutes to go until the break.

But Rovers hit back through Weller Hauraki, who collected Tommy Lee’s kick after Ryan Shaw’s 80m break downfield, the latter of which converted for an 8-6 half-time scoreline.


The Robins made an ideal start to the second half when Quinlan got on the end of a Kane Linnett break, via a Livett offload, as Shaw converted for a 12-8 advantage.

Things got even better for Rovers when on the next set, a dangerous London tackle earned KR a penalty and Chris Atkin was sent under the sticks for the team’s second try in as many minutes. Shaw goaled for 18-8 in favour of the visitors.

However London hit back to win the match. First, they responded on 52 through Alex Walker, who pounced on Morgan Smith’s kick following Jordan Abdull’s inch-perfect 40/20. Converted by Dixon, Rovers were just 18-14 ahead.

Abdull’s touchdown on the hour mark – which was awarded despite referee Chris Kendall first denying the score on the field – edged London ahead, with Dixon converting for 20-18.

And the match-winner came five minutes before the full-time siren, as Rob Butler powered over despite the attention of four KR defenders, Dixon converting, for 26-18.

There was still time for Josh Drinkwater to scoot over with just over 100 seconds remaining, converted by Shaw for 26-24 but it was London’s day in the capital.


T: Smith, Walker, Abdull, Butler

G: Dixon 5/6


T: Hauraki, Quinlan, Atkin, Drinkwater

G: Shaw 4/4

Back To Latest News +