Hull KR survive scare to beat Leigh Centurions in Coral Challenge Cup

Category: On The Pitch

Hull KR survive scare to beat Leigh Centurions in Coral Challenge Cup

Hull Kingston Rovers survived a brave performance from Championship outfit Leigh Centurions to book their place in the Coral Challenge Cup sixth-round draw with a 14-10 win.

Read the match report below.


Head coach Tim Sheens made three changes to the line-up – as Mitch Garbutt pulled up in the warm-up, with Owen Harrison making his debut from the bench on his 20th birthday.

Will Dagger returned at full-back after not featuring since the Betfred Super League defeat to Catalans Dragons last month. Chris Atkin also returned to the bench after missing last week’s victory over Leeds Rhinos.

Former Robins players Joe Cator and Iain Thornley started for the Centurions.

Hull KR: Will Dagger, Ryan Shaw, Jimmy Keinhorst, Ben Crooks, Craig Hall, Josh Drinkwater, Danny McGuire, Robbie Mulhern, Tommy Lee, George Lawler, Kane Linnett, Joel Tomkins, Weller Hauraki. SUBS: Chris Atkin, Danny Addy, Junior Vaivai, Owen Harrison.

Leigh: Gregg McNally, Jonathan Pownall, Iain Thornley, Mitch Cox, Stefan Marsh, Martyn Ridyard, Josh Woods, Sam Brooks, Mickey Higham, Luke Adamson, Toby Adamson, Andy Thornley, Joe Cator. SUBS: Declan O’Donnell, Jake Emmitt, Tom Spencer, Nick Gregson.


Leigh started well and took just six minutes to get off the mark. Jonathan Pownall squeezed over on the right edge, but Martyn Ridyard missed the extras.

Ex-KR man Joe Cator won a penalty and scored Leigh’s second, again to the right of the uprights, for 10-0 as Ridyard successfully converted.

Rovers were struggling in the opening 40 minutes but Jimmy Keinhorst managed to get the hosts off the mark three minutes shy of the interval, collecting Craig Hall’s last-gasp assist. Hall couldn’t add the extras from the left touchline for a 4-10 scoreline.


Weller Hauraki thought he’d crossed for the Robins ten minutes into the second half but he couldn’t collect the ball cleanly. Meanwhile Leigh were denied a score thanks to a last-gasp tackle from Hauraki up the other end.

Ridyard missed the chance to extend Leigh’s lead from the boot in the final quarter.

But Rovers scored twice in the final ten minutes to scrape through into Monday’s sixth-round draw. Ryan Shaw touched down on the left edge, unconverted by Hall, but the latter was on hand to finish off a great move by Keinhorst to edge Rovers 14-10 ahead.


T: Keinhorst, Shaw, Hall

G: Hall 0/2, Shaw 1/1


T: Pownall, Cator

G: Ridyard 1/3

Back To Latest News +