Hull KR lose to last-gasp London Broncos try

Category: On The Pitch

Hull KR lose to last-gasp London Broncos try

Hull Kingston Rovers succumbed to a late London Broncos try to lose 20-16 at KCOM Craven Park.

See the match report below.


Hull KR head coach Tony Smith was able to recall Craig Hall, Matt Parcell and Mitch Garbutt to the 17, with the latter taking his place on the bench. Kane Linnett missed out.

Hull KR: Craig Hall, Will Dagger, Ben Crooks, Jimmy Keinhorst, Ryan Shaw, Danny McGuire, Josh Drinkwater, Robbie Mulhern, Matt Parcell, Daniel Murray, Joel Tomkins, Weller Hauraki, Dean Hadley. SUBS: Mitch Garbutt, Kyle Trout, Mose Masoe, Chris Atkin.

London Broncos: Alex Walker, Kieran Dixon, Ryan Morgan, Elliott Kear, Rhys Williams, Jordan Abdull, Brock Lamb, Eddie Battye, James Cunningham, Rob Butler, Jay Pitts, Matt Gee, Luke Yates. SUBS: Maty Fozard, Dan Hindmarsh-Takyi, Nathan Mason, Guy Armitage.


London capitalised on Ryan Shaw’s error ten metres from his own line, as Matt Gee crossed from close range in the fourth minute. Kieran Dixon converted for an early 6-0 lead in favour of the visitors.

The Robins were finding it increasingly difficult to get out of their own half and London were in again on the tenth minute. Brock Lamb sailed through the KR defence and threw a number of dummies to cross, Dixon converting, to double their lead.

Starved of possession in Broncos territory, Rovers made use of back-to-back penalties when Will Dagger crossed on the quarter-mark, converted by Ryan Shaw, to make it 12-6 to London.

Shaw was denied a four-pointer of his own via video referee Ben Thaler, as his team-mates were offside earlier in the 28th-minute set.

KR centre Jimmy Keinhorst left the field after a lengthy delay, with the help of a stretcher, 11 minutes before half-time.

Dixon added another two from the boot prior to the break, as Rovers failed to capitalise on good pressure beforehand, for 14-6.

HALF TIME: Hull KR 6 London 14


Rovers needed to score first in the second half to keep the tie alive and Chris Atkin touched down six minutes after the interval, Shaw nailing the touchline conversion, for 14-12 in favour of London.

Danny McGuire touched down in the 51st minute as Rovers took the lead for the first time, with a clever runaround pass. Shaw missed the extras for 16-14 to KR.

Dixon missed the opportunity to level the scores from a penalty bang in front of the sticks as a nail-biting finale ensued.

But Jay Pitts’ try two minutes before full-time secured the win for London.

FULL TIME: Hull KR 16 London 20


T: Dagger, Atkin, McGuire

G: Shaw 2/3


T: Gee, Lamb, Pitts

G: Dixon 4/5

Attendance: 8,020

Back To Latest News +