Finals And Draws – 10.05

Category: Heritage

Finals And Draws – 10.05

On this day ….. 10 May


On 10 May 1981, Rovers reached their first Premiership Final by beating St Helens 30-17 in an entertaining game at Craven Park.

It was a game dominated by two men – stand off-half Steve Hartley, who scored a hat-trick of tries, winger Steve Hubbard, who landed six goals and crossed the Saints’ line twice. The two men were Rovers’ top try scorers that season – Hubbard’s brace took him to 25 for the season and Hartley moved up to 22 – whilst Hubbard was also their top goal-kicker, having passed the hundred mark the previous week.

Interestingly, the attendance that day, 13,758, was the third highest at home that season, having been exceeded only for the Challenge Cup ties against York and Salford, and was greater than for the October derby game, which had been the first meeting of the two teams since the Wembley final that May.

Rovers’ win meant that the two Hull teams would meet again in the final at Headingley six days later – their third meeting in major finals in 17 months.


On 10 May 2014, Rovers drew 16-16 at Salford in a dreadful game that was ruined by foul Manchester weather.

Rovers dominated a scoreless first quarter but it was Salford who took the lead, when Chase’s long pass gave Meli a clear run-in at the corner. The scores were level four minutes later when Travis Burns and Kris Keating combined to put Kris Welham over. Rovers deservedly took the lead after 29 minutes, but it was the result of a Salford error, as Burns’ kick was fumbled and Kevin Larroyer was gifted a try. Burns’ conversion made the half-time score 10-4 to the Robins.

Salford started the second half the stronger, and Meli’s converted try made the scores level. But it was Rovers who scored next, on the hour mark, when Neville Costigan gathered Burns’ grubber kick to go over. The scores were levelled again in the 63rd minute, through Gleeson’s converted try. There were chances for both sides in the closing 15 minutes, both sides failing with drop goal attempts, and Rovers came closest to getting the win they would have just about deserved when Costigan was inches short of a second try.

The Rovers team that day was – Ben Cockayne; Ade Gardner, Liam Salter, Kris Welham, David Hodgson; Travis Burns, Kris Keating; Mick Weyman, Josh Hodgson, Jason Netherton, Jordan Cox, Kevin Larroyer, Neville Costigan. Bench: Craig Hall, Jamie Langley, Rhys Lovegrove, James Green.


Back To Latest News +